One of my new chef friends is Executive Chef Steve Sowa of the Half Moon Bay Resort in Jamaica. He is fun to be around, very open and supremely talented. With an assortment of restaurants on property ranging from Caribbean (Pepperpot) , Italian (Il Giardino), International with a Caribe twist (Seagrape Terrace) and signature fine dining (Sugar Mill) and catering to international stars, royalty and business leaders the world over, he obviously knows his stuff. I love sitting outdoors at the more casual Seagrape Terrace, a whisper away from the waters edge under trees stuffed with glowing twinkle lights, nibbling on any of his creations. Seagrape is a welcome spot for dining all day but at night with the addition of a band it surprises. One night after a leisurely dinner we ended up joining a conga line lead by a countess wearing a chocker of baroque pearls and no shoes! Absolutely what we were looking for après dining. Here Chef Steve sends along his beautiful recipe for you, Create your own fun or book a stay at Half Moon Bay Resort today, either way it’s shoes optional.
Coconut & Turmeric Poached Grouper With Lobster Medallions & Grilled Vegetable-Lemon Grass Skewer
Ingredients 4 portions
4 x 5 oz Grouper Fillets
1 Tin Coconut Milk
1 Teaspoon Turmeric powder
1 Teaspoon Ginger Chopped
Chopped Scotch Bonnet Pepper to taste
4 Large Callaloo Leaves, blanched
Salt & Pepper
12 Lobster Medallions with Shell
Grilled Yellow, Red and Green peppers cut in squares
Grilled Squash & Zucchini cut in squares
4 Lemon Grass Stalks
Roast Sweet Potato cut in 1 inch thick slices
- Season fish with salt & pepper and grill for 1 minute on each side.
- Wrap each fish with a callaloo leaf ( you may replace callaoo with spinach).
- Bring coconut milk to a boil with the turmeric, ginger & scotch bonnet.
- Place callaloo wrapped fish in liquid and simmer covered until fish is just cooked in the center, approx 4 minutes.
- Remove fish and keep warm, simmer sauce and season with salt and pepper.
- Season lobster with salt & pepper and a little olive oil and roast in hot oven for 2 minutes
- Assemble grilled vegetable skewers on the lemon grass stalks, keep warm.
- In a large soup plate assemble the dish with two pieces of sweet potato at the bottom, place a fish on top, divide all the sauce between the four plates, add three lobster medallions to each dish and stick the fish with the lemon grass and vegetable skewer, top with a little micro basil.
Chef Steve Sowa
The beautiful Seagrape Terrace at waters edge ( Half Moon Bay Resort)