Summertime food by necessity is easy, fast and fuss-free. This recipe made from ingredients purchased from the GroceryOutlet bargain market is also very inexpensive. Using canned ready made chili eliminates cooking meat and you can come up with all sorts of substitutions and garnishes.
Just how cheap is this recipe? Considering that these are all first quality indgredients and these nachos could be the best you have ever tasted; you’ll be pleased to know the total cost is $9.76 for a huge pan and that comes out to $2.44 each for four people. This gives you lots of time and a few extra pesos to enjoy a margarita !
Dirt Cheap Nachos
- one can Santa Fe Chicken chili ($1.29)
- can Silverado chili ($.99)
- family size bag Tostitos ($3.99) or Rosalindas chips (1pound 8oz.. $1.99)
- 1 small can Jalapeno peppers ($1.29)
- 1/4 pound each: Colby Jack cheese($2.87 for 1/2 pound), Cheddar($3.49 per pound), American (.99 /10 oz.) all grated
- one yellow onion ($1.69 for 7pc.s)
- 1 bunch cilantro (2 bunches for .88)
- 1 bunch green onion (2 bunches for $1.)
- Sour cream for garnish optional (.99 carton)
Arrange chips, enough to cover a foil lined sheet/cookie sheet. Top with the two cans of chili. Chop onions and sprinkle over this. Sprinkle jalapenos and cheeses over all. Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes until cheese melts and browns a bit. Serve warm from the pan. Top with chopped cilantro and a dollop of sour cream. You can also add a few chunks of fresh tomato from your garden.